Wednesday, March 08, 2006

THE Rolling Stones Article

So a couple of weeks ago a co-worker forwarded out to our group an article from Rolling Stones with something in the body along the lines of "After this you will be writing a letter to the editor!" I thought to myself, "HUH" what in Rolling stones magazine would make me that upset? Little did I know.
That mountain of High Tech writing, that leader of Space journalism Rolling stone wrote an "in depth" of NASA's Vision on Exploration, otherwise known as Going to Mars......Now don't get me wrong there are plenty of things that NASA has done or is doing that deserves discussion and sometimes flat out slamming, but if you are going to do that, PLEASE I beg you get your fact straight. I am not sure where to start, but I can say I have never been more aghast at an article than I was after reading it. There are things in the article that our either Flat out wrong or stupid. One example late in the article the author states that a certain crew member "quite literally ran away" what???? I doubt someone in space has ever literally ran away from anything. The article reads like NASA doesn't understand how difficult going to Mars is? As someone that has been in meetings about NASA and exploration let me implore you how much NASA knows and understands how difficult going to the MOON is, let alone Mars. At another point in the article the author discusses Mission Controls ability to close hatches on board the ISS. As a Flight controller in Mission control, let me just say....That not possible, not even close. The article tries to slam NASA for being too far reaching in one breath and yet not forward thinking enough in the next. I don't quite understand what this article hoped to accomplish. The sad thing is, that there are some valid points in the article: Going to Mars will be extremely difficult, time consuming, hard psychologically to the crewmember and outrageously expensive. However the author loses any knowledgeable reader with some its more outlandish errors misconceptions.
Please Rolling Stones I urge you...Stick to Music, not Space.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home